Friday, July 2, 2010

Jani Ortland: For the Young Mother: Ministry, Guilt, and Seasons of Life


When I saw the topic of this article my attention was fixed for three reasons: 1) I am married to an amazing woman who happens to be the mother of (our) two very small children. Natalie has amazing spiritual gifts, and prior to having kids, she used them to serve the local church. The demands of having a two year old and a four year old are great, and the adjustment has sometimes carried with it a temptation to guilt; 2) I'm blessed to pastor a church with many young families. That means many very godly young moms are very busy serving their growing families of little kids. Many work to balance home and church and for some, part-time work. The demands are great; 3) The author of the article has done well at mothering. A good friend of mine is a student at Wheaton, and is very good friends with the author's son. My friend has told me just how far ahead his friend Dane is, as a direct result of the family he was raised in. So, young mother, read and be challenged and encouraged. And, young father, read, and link it for your wife!

Here are the opening few paragraphs:

Guilt is a young mother’s habitual shadow. It has a nasty way of soaking through many of her efforts at nurturing, serving and loving others. “Am I doing enough for my children? For others? What do they think of me? What does God think of me?”

As a young mother everyone wants something from you—your family, your church, your boss, your neighbor. And most likely, you give way more than you ever thought you could. But along the way guilt nibbles at your soul, eating away your inner peace and joy. And it often lingers through the years, even after your children are grown and gone.

Dear young mother, don’t waste your guilt!

You can read the whole thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment