Friday, July 10, 2009

On John Calvin


I've tried to restrain myself, but to no avail. I have to mention it. Today is John Calvin's 500th birthday. He's one of my heroes for a number of reasons. He was a godly man and a humble pastor. He was a scholar who was first a pastor. I love reading him for his clarity, thoroughness, pastoral heart, and Biblical saturation. But I thought I'd quote a paragraph from Darryl Dash about what Calvin's opponents said about him. It makes me appreciate Calvin even more. Darryl writes:

Calvin had (and has) his critics, but even they grudgingly respect him. Pope Pius IV, Roman Pontiff at time of Calvin’s death, said of Calvin: “The strength of that heretic [Calvin] consisted in this, that money never had the slightest charm for him. If I had such servants my dominion would extend from sea to sea.” Jacob Arminius said that Calvin is “incomparable in the interpretation of Scripture,” and he recommended Calvin’s commentaries second only to the Bible itself.

What a model to aspire to!

No comments:

Post a Comment