Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tim Keller: Plant Churches in Cities (how, why, what, etc)

I love Tim Keller. I almost never agree with everything he says and does, but I'm almost always thankful that I took the time to listen to him. He's thought-provoking and insightful, and I believe he's a 'must-listen' for Reformed Church Planters, because he combines rigorous Biblical theology with rigorous contextualization and strategy. I often wish he would say less or more. In the following talk on strategically reaching people in cities through contextualized church plants, etc, I wish he at least began with a disclaimer that our greatest need is men and women of God who are earnest for holiness and desperate in prayer. Maybe I'm nit-picky, but maybe not. Isn't it the tendency of the human heart to omit these and move on to strategy? The latter is certainly much easier, and it can be masked as piety when it is engaged in church work. But having said that, if holiness and worship and prayer are one's foundation, Keller's voice must be listened to, with discernment. He has shaped me as much as my other hero, John Piper. Take 17 minutes and be spurred on in your love for, and your ability to, engage the city with Christ's gospel!

Tim Keller Argues For Churches In Cities [Lausanne] from Kenny Jahng on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment