Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Ultimate Bible?


My wife thinks I'm crazy. I'm on a lifetime hunt for the perfect edition of the Bible. Perfect translation, perfect binding, perfect font, and so on. In the Bible Design and Binding blog, I think I've met my match. I've found someone who is even more particular than I am. I may read blogs like this, but this guy created and writes articles for a blog devoted to this quest. I have to step aside and admit that I'm in another league.

I have to admit that his latest review has caught my eye. This Bible and matching journal combination look pretty amazing. Aside from the fact that I'd like an ESV with Hebrew/Greek on one page, and English on the other, this may just be the ultimate Bible to date, a prospect for lifetime companion to this pastor/preacher. Take a look at the link here.

I do need to reinforce the truth that the guy writing the review is in a league of his own. Take a look at the following quote:

"This edition's paper has been upgraded. Combined with the added margins, something magical happens, something that makes the same leather cover that's on the ESV1 seem not at all the same. The weight of the text block and its relative width and slimness create the "Long Primer effect," a melty, decadent slouch that delivers pure tactile bliss".

What was that? Since when can a Bible be described as 'decadent' (i.e. sinful)? But I get is point, and I may save my pennies!

This quote is exciting for me as a Canadian: "The text is Anglicized, which means words like color are spelled colour". Amen to that!

1 comment:

  1. I would never have guessed that there is so much to think about in terms of how a Bible is printed and bound, and paper weight! Truly enlightening!

    ReplyDelete