Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ian's Links

Here is the first edition that may prove to be a bit of a lasting change here on 'Keeping Christ Central'. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm toying with the idea of changing my blog's format, and this is a first attempt. Leave a comment to let me know how you like 'Ian's Links'!

What would Billy Graham have done differently? Looking back on his life, the great evangelist humbly offers some very wise counsel to young bucks like me!

The Pastor's Prayer Habits - This 86 minute panel discussion features Charles Price (of People's Church in Toronto), Tim Kerr (of Sovereign Grace Church in Toronto), and Ken Davis (of Thistletown Baptist Church in Toronto). Paul Martin (of Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto) moderates. I was there and it is excellent.

A Man, A Soldier, A Christian - I appreciated this two part biography of Stonewall Jackson, written by Tim Challies. Biographies of great men often speak to me like no other book (other than the Bible), and short biographies of people with whom I'm not familiar, often introduce me to those whose lives I'll read more about in the future. Jackson is, no doubt, one of those men, thanks to Tim's very moving sketch. Find it here: (Part 1), (Part 2).

The Pastor and Criticism - I've been appreciating CJ Mahaney's ongoing series (Part 1) (Part 2).

Cautions for Mere Christianity - Kevin DeYoung acknowledges that he learns something every time he reads C.S. Lewis, but points out two key flaws in the famous 'Mere Christianity'. The simple fact is that Lewis was not an evangelical, and these two key flaws highlight this for us. For my part, I'll go on reading Lewis, but will be cautious with who I give a Lewis book to.

Why you need to be critical in order to be teachable. I appreciated this Mortimer Adler quote, posted by Justin Taylor.

U.S. Missionary Fatally Wounded in Mexico - This is a tragic story of a female missionary who was randomly shot in the head with her husband at her side while in their car. Whether it was random or planned, she is a martyr in her work in a cartel-controlled region of Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment